Do your children, nieces/nephews or grandkids participate in regular physical activity?
Any type of exercise whether it's playing a sport, going for a walk, playing in the playground or at the beach is a great way to optimise the benefits of physical activity on both physical and mental health.
Not only is exercise and sport a great way for the whole family to stay active but it's also a great way for kids to socialise with friends. They learn fundamental skills that last their entire life such as co-ordination, being part of a team and hand-eye coordination.
It is important to note that children who exercise regularly and participate in sport are more likely to maintain an active lifestyle participating in regular physical activity as an adult.
The benefits of children participating in regular exercise include:
- Assists in maintaining a healthy body weight and cardiovascular fitness
- Learning correct movement patterns and limb co-ordination
- Helps to build strong bones, muscles and joints
- Assists with their self-esteem and confidence
- Reduces the risk of injury or other medical conditions such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease
With the return of sport starting to commence after COVID-19 restrictions, encouraging children to participate is a great way to ensure they reach the above benefits. However it's important that they return gradually to reduce the risk of injury.
We run a Junior Gym group designed for primary aged children wanting to improve their fitness and co-ordination. Classes revolve around movement, balance and fun.